Monday, September 24, 2007

Arabian Nights


"The uniting theme between these completely different works of literature comes down to a racial intolerance that is befitting of several hundred years of slavery and ignorance. The world has not always been a blissful place for the minority, and these works illustrate a history that extends beyond a Shakespearean world, or a dreamed up set of fairy tales and proverbs, and strikes at the very core of human nature. The authors setup and use the issue of race, albeit in different ways, to further the plot and also to instigate emotion from their respective audiences." - Me, taken from my conclusion in my rough draft.

I've always wanted to quote myself. I feel so important.

I wrote on the issue of race within Othello as well as the A Thousand and One Nights piece. I went in feeling rather indifferent about the paper and my topic, but now I feel I have a better understanding for the complexity of race that's used within the stories. When I first read the works, I underestimated the importance and the relevance of the race of several characters. Now I feel I'm much more in tune with what the authors had in mind.

Then again, maybe I'm still completely clueless.

I procrastinated for the majority of this weekend, but I still managed to get this paper done at a fairly reasonable (1 AM the night before) time. I don't know why I wait so long to do things like this. I guess it's just in my nature. The first paper is always the hardest.

To be truthful, I'm really excited to be moving on to some contemporary literature here soon. I don't do nearly as well with interpretation of classic literature. I guess I can't get into it like I do some of the contemporary stuff I can relate to just a tad bit easier.

At any rate, I'm excited to finish our discussion on A Thousand and One Nights in class tomorrow. See you all then!

-Dan

2 Comments:

Blogger Allen Webb said...

Great quote! Where did you find it? :) Your paper sounds very interesting -- I like the idea of seeing the "complexity" of the representation of race and that it was USED by the authors for specific purposes.

September 24, 2007 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Patricia Schultz said...

I'm glad you've gotten so much out of lit. that you admittedly have a difficult time relating to.

September 24, 2007 at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home