Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Poetry eludes me.

A brisk autumn morning, the perfect cure

For stress, and hardships, and hoping that life will

At last go your way, even for just one

Obscure moment, one minute of your own.


Of all the mornings grace showeth itself

On today, blissful rays of sun are shone

And though we wake not knowing, miracles

Are happening, where you’d least expect them.


- Two four line stanzas written by myself.

Honestly, I wish I had a better comprehension and capacity to write poetry. It has never and probably will never be my strong suit. I spent at least two hours hammering out eight lines of poems that will be most definitely outshined by those of my classmates.

On the bright side, of all the poems I've ever been assigned to write in high school and now in college, I feel these are probably my strongest. They adhere mostly to the rules of iambic pentameter, and not even Shakespeare follows the exact rules for EVERY line of his stuff, so I think I'm okay, even if I'm not as consistent as he is.

But I guess if I was I wouldn't be a student in college, I'd probably be living in a mansion somewhere. Oh to dream.

I suppose I should probably name my stanzas or poems or whatever you'd like to call them, but I can't think of any good names at the moment. I'll probably come back later and edit them in.

I'm looking forward to class and reading some real poetry written by all of you :) thanks for reading!

Dan

4 Comments:

Blogger r4kijews said...

I'm not that good at writing poetry either but if you can rhyme then it is not so bad.

September 26, 2007 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Allen Webb said...

I also wrote about nature... It appears in the Rubiayat, but seems like more of a backdrop than in the pieces we did...

September 26, 2007 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I like the second one. It seems that it would be nice if for once everything would go my way and work out

September 26, 2007 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

It's not bad! I liked it. Don't be so hard on yourself. I thought the autumn morning releiving stress was very true.

September 26, 2007 at 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home