Monday, October 22, 2007

Palestine: Peace, not Apartheid

A picture of our thirty-ninth President of the United States of America, Jimmy Carter.


"The bottom line is this: Peace will come to Israel and the Middle East only when the Israeli government is willing to comply with international law, with the Roadmap for Peace, with official American policy, with the wishes of a majority of its own citizens--and honor its own previous commitments--by accpting its legal borders. All Arab neighbors must pledge to honor Israel's right to live in peace under these conditions."

-Taken from Chapter 17 page 216 of Jimmy Carter's Palestine Peace Not Apartheid

I used to think that it was a matter of "good vs. evil" in the Middle East when I was growing up. After reading Jimmy Carter's book, I see that things are hardly so black and white.

First off, I just want to say thank God for the historical chronology in the first ten pages of this book. Not that I've ever truly searched for one before, but this painted a very clear picture for the points being made within the book, and it really shined some light on a situation that needed a little bit of clearing up for me.

The chapter that I got the most out of was most definitely chapter three, which was Jimmy Carter's personal recollection and account of the situation during his presidency. His accounts of all the letters and meetings were quite in-depth, and I appreciated the sense of honesty that came along with his writing. The description of the actors in chapter four was also pretty helpful in creating a better understanding of the situation.

I have to say, though, that of all the pages we were assigned to read, the most informative were the pictures of the maps. I had no idea where half of these places were in relation to each other, and now I know. Pretty neat to not be so ignorant anymore!

All of that being said, I enjoyed the reading, it was quite informative. I didn't understand what we were supposed to get from pages 176-177, but I suppose I can ask that question tomorrow.

See you all bright and early!
-Dan

4 Comments:

Blogger Allen Webb said...

I am interested that you found the maps and the chronology so helpful. I thought that our study of the Middle East would help make that chronology make sense.

October 22, 2007 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger ian magee said...

I agree about chapter four being really helpful, that along with the chronology actually got me kinda excited about the reading. I went on to read some of chapter five afterward and really recommend it.

October 22, 2007 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I agree about the chronology, several times I found myself looking at it multiple times for clarity.

October 22, 2007 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I felt the same way about the chronology! Thank God....cause I was confused. I didn't realize it was so intricate. I referenced it a few times. It's exciting to have all the pieces come together.

October 22, 2007 at 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home