Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Vice President Dick Cheney giving a speech.

"If I were an Arab leader I would never make terms with Israel. That is natural: we have taken their country... we come from israel, but two thousand years ago, and what is that to them? There has been anti-semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They only see one thing: we have come and stolen their country. Why should they accept that?"

-A quote from David Ben-Gurion, one of Israel's early leaders.

I have a lot to say about this article, but before I do, let me state that I feel this is only one side of the story. The content may seem outrageous and you may want to go riot in downtown Washignton D.C. right now, but keep in mind that there are always two sides to a story. That being said, this article continued the spree of eye-opening literature I've read in the class.

I'm a political science major before I'm an English major. I should be completely done with my poli sci major by the second semester of my junior year. I have a fascination for it, and that's why this article was of unparalleled interest to me in comparison to all of the things we've read this year.

Quoting for importance from the article we read: "Jewish Americans have set up an impressive aray of organisations to influence American foreign policy, of which AIPAC is the most powerful and best known. In 1997, Fortune magazine asked members of Congress and their staffs to list the most powerful lobbies in Washington. AIPAC was ranked second behind the AARP, but just ahead of the AFL-CIO and NRA. A National Journal study in March 2005 reached a similar conclusion..."

The power of interest groups and lobbies is unrivaled in politics, these days. The majority of Americans support a ban of assault rifles, not just a majority, but a super majority. In 2004, 71% Americans were proponents of an assault weapons ban. 71%! So why are assault weapons still legal and available?

The NRA. The National Rifle Association is a perpetual power in Washington, and as long as they are in our congressmen's pockets, this is something that will never change.

I have a lot to say regarding this article and it's contents, but I hope everyone found it as insightful and interesting as I did. I'm excited to hear what you all have to say.

See you soon,
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home