Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Kite Runner

"Now, no matter what the mullah teaches, there is only one sin, only one. And that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft. Do you understand that?"
"No, Baba jan," I said, desperately wishing I did. I didn't want to disappoint him again.
"When you kill a man, you steal a life," Baba said. "You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness. Do you see? There is no act more wretched than stealing, Amir..."

Taken from pages 17-18 of Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner.

I'm not sure quite where to start. This book is, so far, beyond fantastic, and is quickly becoming one of my favorite novels. I've read about 200 pages in the past two days, and I feel like I'm completely immersed in it. If I'm in another class, I'm thinking about this book - if I'm hanging out with my friends, I catch myself wondering what's going to happen next. I'm hooked.

On top of the immense amount of pleasure I'm getting from reading the book, it's a very deep read, as well. I find myself having to take breaks after each chapter to deliberate the intended meaning of certain passages, as well as taking a break emotionally because the story has the tendency to become quite heart-wrenching. What an amazing novel. I'm blessed to be finishing the class reading it.

Right now, as I stated earlier, I'm at about page 200. I'm only writing in this now so I can take a break and help myself get some thoughts on paper and then get immediately back to reading. I hope everyone has found a new love just like this for their final paper.

I may just write another passage tonight after I'm another 100 pages into it, but if not, I'll see you all tomorrow, completed book in hand. :)

-Dan

1 Comments:

Blogger lindasthoughts said...

I like your opening statement. It really gives you something to think about.

December 12, 2007 at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home